I could have taken the bird apart to its various components, rigged it in after effects and animated him that way. I decided against that, I wanted the animation to have a more material 'feel'. So, I decided to create a new bird in each position and animate him by way of replacement stop motion. It meant making a few more birds, which is time consuming, but I felt that the technique will make a better animation.
After photographing my bird, I really liked the scratched board background, so decided to keep it. I photographed is again, trying to get the lighting right.
I also thought about lighting the birds, I wanted the lighting to show up their individual feathers.
Then it was just a case of making lots of birds..... went through a few scalpel blades.